As a result of the predominant role media plays in the life of
the 21st Century Learner (Daley, 2003), the Common Core Standards have been
designed around significant media inclusion in every subject (New Jersey Department of Education, 2010). For this reason, I’ve chosen to join the
Common Core community to ascertain and inform the community of the tremendous
role inclusion and construction of media is expected to play in their everyday
units of instruction. It is also the reason that brought me to this program in Educational Technology.
I am an active subscriber to many academic organizations such as
AMLE (Association for Middle Level Education), NAESSP (National Association for
Elementary and Secondary School Principals), and ASCD (Association for
Supervision and Curriculum Development).
These subscriptions, as you may know, provide a plethora of literature
(both physically and technologically) that can truly make your head spin. The reason I bring this information to this
discussion is that in all my readings, and I really do read virtually every educational magazine I receive, I
cannot recall coming across material that addresses the continuum of instruction
that needs to be addressed for our national system of education, despite its
many varieties, to truly meet the critical thinking and innovation
driving skills our students need to have to have the United States continue leading the world in
innovative productions as we have with the car and the computer, to name two.
This class illuminates for me the fabulous opportunities we can bring
to our classes to drive this innovative explosion from our students. I believe the students are anxiously waiting for us to show them how to tap into the media skills they use every day because they see no media-school connection in their daily work. It also presents me with the recognition of
the dearth of understanding I see present in the educational community
surrounding me. it appears this dearth isn’t only in my community but in the
trenches of instructional leaders everywhere.
I have had many rumblings
of ideas suggesting how I can personally bring the information I’m gaining,
(and practically on a minute by minute basis), to my fellow instructional colleagues
at all levels. Professional development
ideas seem to be the strongest method of delivery but I have yet to decide what
it could look like. I personally, must
be careful to stay in the moment of learning so as not to miss the idea that
could be the gel for my ideas. I would
look forward to others’ ideas.
An additional note: This is the link to a digital article regarding public libraries' ramping up their digital abilities: Public Libraries Add Multimedia Learning to Digital Mission
References:
Daley, E. (2003). Expanding the concept of literacy. EDUCAUSE (March/April), 33-40.
Education Week (2013, September 11). Public Libraries Add Multimedia Learning to Digital Mission. Retrieved September 14, 2013, from http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2013/09/04/03library.h33.html
New Jersey Department of Education (2010). Skills array, NJ CCCS 8.1 Computer and information Literacy. Retrieved September 12, 2013, from http://Department of Education. (2010). Skills array, NJCCCS 8.1 computer and information literacy. Retrieved from http://www.nj.gov/education/techno/techlit/tapin/2ci_skills_array.pdf
An additional note: This is the link to a digital article regarding public libraries' ramping up their digital abilities: Public Libraries Add Multimedia Learning to Digital Mission
References:
Daley, E. (2003). Expanding the concept of literacy. EDUCAUSE (March/April), 33-40.
Education Week (2013, September 11). Public Libraries Add Multimedia Learning to Digital Mission. Retrieved September 14, 2013, from http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2013/09/04/03library.h33.html
New Jersey Department of Education (2010). Skills array, NJ CCCS 8.1 Computer and information Literacy. Retrieved September 12, 2013, from http://Department of Education. (2010). Skills array, NJCCCS 8.1 computer and information literacy. Retrieved from http://www.nj.gov/education/techno/techlit/tapin/2ci_skills_array.pdf
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi Chris,
DeleteYou have great ideas to support the use of technology in relation to the Core Standards. I was speaking to a group of teachers the other day about technology in our lesson plans, and I was surprised to find out that that many of them were unaware of technology being a part of the standards. I became more familiar with technology standards in my previous graduate class. However, I don't think I would have been acquainted with them if they weren't a part of that class. Many teachers think technology standards and curriculum are only for computer class. Here is an example of a Common Core Standard utilizing technology:
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.4.6 With some guidance and support from adults, use technology, including the Internet, to produce and publish writing as well as to interact and collaborate with others; demonstrate sufficient command of keyboarding skills to type a minimum of one page in a single sitting.
Source: http://www.corestandards.org/ELA-Literacy/W/4
Hi Chris,
ReplyDeleteI am more than aware of your community involvement, particularly with your newfound position on the board of the NJASCD, which is wonderful! That said, it's clear to me that you are certainly keeping abreast of the current trends in edtech from all angles of that community, which is terrific to hear. I think it's wonderful that you're engaged in all of these groups already, and that you follow all the latest developments -- I hope these groups assist your MMP design work over the next couple of weeks as you write your proposal and throughout the remainder of the semester.
Nicely done!
Erica
I am adding my comments, catching up with the past-due assignment ...
ReplyDeleteChristine,
I share your observation that there are a tremendous amount of web 2.0 digital tools available to teachers to use in the classroom. All professional organizations NJEA, NJSA, NSTA, NJASCD, ... are publishing a lot of materials about digital tools and classroom enhancement. I think they are over do it. But statistically, I think that the reason is marketing. The goal is to reach to ALL educators, both in the classroom, as well as at the administrative level.
You might find useful ... I recently came across a book, I bought it, and it is on my summer reading list, titled "Rethinking Education in the age of technology" by Allan Collins and Richard Halverson. To me the title says everything.
http://www.amazon.com/Rethinking-Education-Technology-Education--Connections-Education-Connections/dp/0807750026/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379900901&sr=8-1&keywords=Rethinking+Education+in+the+age+of+technology