Exercise #1
Cropping
p. 193
These pictures are of my grandchildren on a hike in a State Park in Massachusetts
First set of photo editing, with cropping. Krause (1962, p 192) says that depending on what the designer/editor has in mind as her intended focus will make the determination of the many ways in which a photo may be cropped.
![]() |
| This is the original photo. |
![]() |
| This is the photo cropped at just the bottom right. |
![]() |
| This photo has been cropped from the top left only. |
Exercise #2:
Color Echo
p. 219
Krause (1962, p 218) says that when building a layout around a particular photo/object, create a palette that will complement the image by borrowing colors directly from the image itself.
In this initial image, the Christmas ornament caught my eye because it contained shades of cranberry, silver on the chain, cheery green, and the text was already on the image. I thought the variety of colors would make it easy to find multiple ways to complement the image (Krause, 1962).
For the second image, I used a photo I'd taken at my husband's aunt's 87th birthday. One of her grandchildren had sent her roses. The roses were so pretty that I just had to take a picture of them. This is the picture embedded in the background. I thought the pink in the roses was a pretty complement to the Christmas ball. Although the color isn't exact, the sentiment evoked in the giving and receiving of roses is similar to the sentiments evoked with the giving and receiving of thoughtful Christmas gifts. Using the software to reduce the saturation of the photo enabled me to use it as a background for the image.
In the third image, above, I was able to successfully overcome the challenge of the first; that is, to make the borders of the star and the frame similar in hue. The star itself is a background layer with the object in the forefront.
I used iDraw for these images ($24.99). With the theme being 'color echo' I downloaded a jpeg from www.dreamstime.com that I thought had potential to be singly visually attractive but could withstand additional muted additions. The Christmas ball and the words "Merry Christmas" are part of the initial jpeg. Learning how to work with the graphics program was the biggest hurdle. I'm not even close to having mastered the early stages of the program but with the help of YouTube, I was able to squeak out these images. The cranberry christmas ball and lettering is reproduced in a complimentary shaded background with the edges of the star being as close to echoing the green ribbon on the ornament.
Disappointingly, I didn't know how to upload the vector files (as if I know anything more about that than they are math based images and not graphic based images...) so I had to take a screen shots of each idraw item and upload them to the page.
Exercise #3
Conveyance Exercise
p. 299
These are my follow up attempts to construct additional models.
I took these photos of the word 'SHRED' drawn in pencil
and then cut as though it had been passed through a
shredder and reassembled. To get the pieces to stay together,
I taped them to a prism base.
I thought this was a clever way to demonstrate 'Candy Corn'.













No comments:
Post a Comment